Self-alignment-Vertical-alignment LCD technology
PS-VA LCDs require a polyimide (PI) as an orientation?layer to vertically align LC materials on the substrate. In the case of SA-VA LCDs, specific additives in the LC mixture ensure the vertical?orientation. Consequently, the LC mixture takes over an additional function. A?PI orientation layer is not needed.
All other following steps such as tilt?angle adjustment with RMs are comparable to PS-VA.
The production of?LCDs with SA-VA technology is becoming easier.
- Green technology because no orientation layer is necessary, thus saving energy and reducing waste (orientation layer process)
- No interaction of PI material with LC material is possible. Potentially improves
- Compatible with existing PS-VA production lines.
- Extremely narrow bezel LCDs are possible (no critical interaction of sealant
with PI layer).
- Enables low temperature processes (compatible with heat-sensitive materials, e.g. plastic substrates, organic TFTs) by removing high temperature PI step.